Thinking back on all of the toy purchases I have made over the past several years (and gifts we have received) since my 2 boys were born, I have come to realize that I have become a lot more selective about the types of toys I now purchase for my kids. We have been through a lot of toys – and we have gotten rid of many more toys than we have kept, which is unfortunate because it is a waste of money and not good for our landfill. I have come to learn that the BEST toys are ones that are made well and use my kids’ imagination to their fullest and offer a learning experience. Here is a list of 15 toys that have stood the test of time – they have lasted thru 2 rough boys and they continue to go back and play with them:
- Magna-tiles – pricey, but well, well worth it! We have never had a Magna-tile break and the building opportunities are endless. Our sons construct things and play with them with other things like toys, cars, etc.
2. Magformers – similar to Magna-tiles – but different! We have both and like both!
3. Learning Resources Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Set – This is a great set to build your own working gears and learning how gears move and work!
4. Snap Circuits – Both of my boys (3 and 6) love playing with this. There are lots of projects in an instruction guide in the box to building things like working lights, fans, music, etc. So much fun!
5. Tinkertoys – We prefer the plastic Tinkertoys over the old wooden types because you can curve the rods to construct all kinds of things.
6. Wooden Train Set – Trains are our main go-to toys – we have had wooden trains and tracks for about 4 years now and the boys love to create their own track layouts which are endless.
7. WEDGiTS WEDGITS Deluxe Toy Set – These blocks are awesome – you can make pyramids, towers, all different configurations. They are colorful and sturdy!
8. Easel – We have a double sided easel (dry erase and chalkboard). It has been used for drawing on, at parties to post a message, and more. You can also clip paper to it for paining on.
9. Play Kitchen – We keep our play kitchen in our dining room next to our kitchen. The kids love to mimic what we are doing in the kitchen by making their own pretend creations in their own creation.
10. Puzzle Tracks – We have several sets of these – cars, trains, etc. The tracks can be put together like a puzzle, in all different configurations so they are never board with the setup.
11. LEGOs! – Build, create, do over again!
12. Puzzles – We have lots of puzzles, mostly wooden since our kids are younger that our kids enjoy doing when they are bored!
13. Marble Run – We have a marble run that has a motorized marble return…the kids can construct all different setups and they love watching the marbles roll down and seeing how their creation works.
14. The Original Stomp Rocket: Ultra 4-Rocket Kit (20008) – This is a go-to gift for us whenever we go to a “boy” party (although girls would love this to)!
15. Play-Doh – Mix colors, use cookie cutters or play-doh shapes to make all kinds of creations!
Please note: Prices are subject to change at any time. Your best chances of getting the deals I post are by jumping on them as soon as you see them. As soon as post a deal here, I also share them on Facebook and Twitter. Please make sure you follow me there as well for your best chances of not missing any of the deals I post!